Tuesday, January 17, 2006

It's a black fly in your Chardonnay...

To more fully entertain our obsession with 24, Laura and I decided to get cable. Basic cable, mind you: but for the first time since I lived on Ophelia Street, I am paying for cable (for the first time since living at UPG, I am living with cable). I made a copule of notes on the experience -- which was realized today after the cable guy woke us up at 10 a.m.

1.) Apparently they round up the whole activation fee thing to an even $51. The first month's charge, plus the activation fees, should have been $49.change with tax. The bill was $51. Maybe I should have paid attention one of those times I took calc.
2.) Although I will now be able to watch Jack Bauer foolishly put the security of our nation at risk for some woman he's banging (or her son), the first thing I saw this morning after our cable was installed was Joan Rivers on The Tony Danza Show. The next channel had Divorce Court.
3.) As Laura and I were enjoying our celebratory smoked salmon and capers nine hours after we paid the $51 for cable, we heard a knock on our door. Was it the Mexicans, finally inviting us out to drink beer and listen to mariachi music with them in their Chevy Astrovan? Was it the our upstairs neighbor coming to complain that the noise from our apartment was not allowing one of his toddler sons to run up and down their hallway for 27 consecutive minutes? No, it was Steve. Steve works for the cable company. Steve wanted to entice us to get cable by offering half-off the first month's cable bill and waived activation fees if we signed up with him tonight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...yes, ironic isn't it? Or is it? My conspiracy theory is that Mr. Cableguy came by 9hrs later just to piss you off. The cable company's 'records' show that you never had a cable account, and what better way to mock you than to offer free service, etc? I myself never had cable, only peasant vision (ya know wi' d'em wabbit eers!) and that's all I ever needed so satisfy my tv needs. And frankly, I don't care about Joan or Jack, it's all garbage.