Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Foxtrot You, Man

I was reading a delivery tracking number to an author today at work. The recitation was going smoothly: me saying a few numbers or letters at at time, he repeating them back. Wisely, the author would repeat the letters using the phonetic/radio/spelling/telephone alphabet. After hearing him do this for a letter or two, I caught on and started reciting the letters in that fashion (though I've never learned the official prst alphabet).
When I had gotten to an "F," I said, "Frank," off the top of my head. However, the author repeated back, "Foxtrot," his voice barely patronizing.
"No," I thought. "This part of the tracking number sequence is clearly Frank. I am the one reading, you are the one writing. If my "F" is Frank, you write it as Frank: don't write my "F" in quadruple time."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, reading anything off this website was a little surprising. I didnt realize that all these links led to such wonderful nuggets of wisdom. This being only the second link I have left, I pressume that will I let all this fryer grease seep into my blood through my skin, I will atleast have something good to read.